At Willow Bend Dental in Plano, children’s dentistry is approached with passion and care. Our mission is to provide a dental experience that helps children establish healthy oral routines.
Plano pediatric dentist, Dr. Beougher, creates beautiful smiles and healthy teeth and gums for children of all ages by providing a safe, relaxing, fun, and educational experience for children and their parents.
We understand that some children are afraid of going to the dentist. While our main focus is attending to the oral health of your child, we also make every effort to have the experience be a comfortable and positive one, to build trust with your child by treating him or her as we would a member of our own family.
Oral Health Recommendations for Children:
- Cleaning for infants: It is common for adults to not care for their children’s baby teeth because they aren’t permanent and therefore adults may not see the importance. Oral health care for babies and young children is very important, however, as it effects chewing, talking, and prevention of gingivitis. Simply using a washcloth or gauze to gently polish your baby’s first tooth after bottles and meals is adequate. When your child has more than one tooth, use a pea-sized amount of toothpaste to brush their teeth. Water without fluoride should be used until your child is at least six months of age.
- Brushing: Instilling good oral hygiene is very important for children. Just like adults, children should brush their teeth twice daily or after every meal. Toothbrushes should be replaced every two to three months. It is also important to note that children should brush their teeth after taking medication, as the acids in medications can dissolve their protective tooth enamel.
- First Visit to the Dentist: When your child celebrates their first birthday, it’s time for our Plano dentist to do their first cleaning and be seen twice a year afterwards.
- Fluoride Treatments: Your child needs to have regular fluoride treatments from our dentists, when appropriate, because they are essential in the fight against tooth decay and cavities.
- Dental Flossing: Once your child has at least two teeth right next to each other, it’s time to assist them in flossing. By the time they are around six years of age, they can be taught to do this on their own.
- Orthodontics: Should orthodontic care be necessary, you child may begin this stage of oral health around age seven.
Going to THIS dental office is FUN!
Establishing top-notch oral health care is good for your child and they can have fun doing it. To ease any anxious kids, we provide:
- Kid-approved movies
- A loving and caring staff
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- Sedation dentistry
If you have questions about your child’s teeth or children’s dentistry, or are looking for a great Plano pediatric dentist, please contact us for more information.