As part of a healthy lifestyle, it is important to eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly. But one of the most important areas to keep healthy are your teeth and gums. Establishing good oral hygiene habits is just as important as eating healthy and moving for at least 30 minutes a day. At Willow Bend Dental in Plano, TX, we want to help educate our patients on how to properly care for their teeth to ensure a healthy smile for life.
5 Tips for A Healthy Smile
- Select the correct toothbrush. It is important to make sure you are using the correct toothbrush for your teeth. If you have sensitive gums, select a “soft” toothbrush. A toothbrush with “hard” bristles won’t necessarily get more plaque off than a “soft” toothbrush. If you have a smaller mouth, then selecting a toothbrush with a smaller head will allow you to get into the hard-to-reach spots in the back of your mouth.
- Brush regularly. Everyone should brush their teeth at least twice per day – once in the morning and once at night. It is important to brush between two and three minutes per time, moving the toothbrush in soft, circular motions. You don’t need to brush aggressively, as this will irritate your gums. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends replacing your toothbrush every 2-3 months, but if the bristles begin to wear out before the two months is up, then you should replace your toothbrush more frequently. Also, replacing your toothbrush every 2-3 months helps to keep bacteria from forming.
- Eat a healthy diet and limit sugary foods and drinks. The foods you eat can impact your teeth positively or negatively. Foods high in calcium and rich in vitamins and nutrients helps to keep your teeth healthy. They help to protect the enamel and keep your gums healthy. However, foods that are high in sugar can eat away at the enamel, weakening your teeth. If you do partake in a sweet treat, the Plano, TX dentists at Willow Bend recommend brushing your teeth when you are done eating. If you don’t have access to a toothbrush, drink a glass of water or chew a stick of sugar-free gum. This will help wash away the sugars from the surface of the teeth.
- Floss and use mouthwash. After you have brushed your teeth, don’t forget to floss and use mouthwash. Flossing gets in between your teeth and removes any food debris and plaque that can’t be removed by brushing. It is recommended to floss at least once per day. Finishing your oral care routine with mouthwash helps to eliminate bacteria and freshens your breath.
- Visit the Plano, Texas dentists at Willow Bend Dental at least twice a year for cleanings. Visiting the dentist in Plano, Texas a minimum of every six months is very important for maintaining a healthy smile. Our experienced dental team will examine your teeth and identify any problem areas, such as gum disease or cavities, perform a cleaning, and if needed, take x-rays. If you are prone to plaque build-up, we will recommend more frequent visits.
If you are looking for a Plano, Texas dentist that is experienced and cares about providing patients with the best in dental care, contact Willow Bend Dental today. Our team, led by Dr. Ritchie Beougher, will work with you to identify any problem areas and develop a treatment plan to give you a healthy and happy smile.